Black and White Photos


Even though my camera gives me the option of taking my photographs in color, sepia, and black and white, I always shoot in color. Then, I alter my photographs with Paint Shop Pro. Photographs that look wonderful in color take on a whole new look when changed to black and white.

To me, black and white photography is very artistic and even the simplest photo can be enhanced greatly when changed to black and white. If framed, I choose a white or black mat with a black or silver frame. That way, your eye will focus on the photograph.

In my new book, Trading Card Treasures, I was creating an ATC invitation for a ‘make believe’ brunch. I needed a black and white photograph for the design. So, I went to my cupboard. I used one of my coffee cups and spoons to place on our kitchen table. I was blessed to be given two chairs by my grandfather. These chairs are from the 1940s or earlier. That is the chair that you see in the photograph.

I took the original photograph in color and then used Paint Shop Pro to turn it into a black and white photograph. Then, I added “noise” to the photograph to soften the image.
While the photograph was created for the Brunch Invitation in Trading Card Treasures, I decided to create a greeting card with Scrapbook Factory Deluxe for this blog. The card was created for no reason other than to explore the relationship between black and white. The texture from the doily and the belted ribbon adds interest to the card. SFD is very user friendly and I enjoy working with it. I used it to create my digital scrapbook article for Scrap and Stamp Arts.

When photographing images that you will turn into black and white, remember the adage, “less is more.” Tighten your shot by filling your viewfinder with your subject. The less background “noise,” the better your photograph. Digital cameras make the job easier because you can take as many photographs as you need to take so you can get that “right” shot.

Popular Posts