Talented Grandmother and Mother


I come from a very talented family.  My mom is an expert seamstress who made all of our clothes when we were growing up.  She even made suites for my brothers and a tux for my dad.  She has reupholster her favorite sofa a few times as well.  She loves the sofa’s design and just can’t part with the frame.

My mom and I get our talents from my grandmother, Juliana, and my grandfather, John.  Juliana and John were very talented and very creative. 

My grandfather looked at an old wool shirt and saw mittens.  He had the ablitiy to look beyond the object and create something else.  He made his own pattern for the mittens. He had an eye for creative thinking.  Grandmom crochet beautiful tablecloths and doilies.  Her Christmas tree was a work of art.

Before she died, she made these pretty blue-trimmed shoes for me and a yellow pair for my mom.  She found the pattern in a magazine.  Little did she think that all these later, her granddaughter would be a professional craft designer and write articles for national craft magazines.

The table, on which I photographed the shoes, is her kitchen table.  I resuced it from my grandfather’s basement.  It’s old and not in the best condition, but it’s mine and I love it.  Every time I look at it I think of my family and the love and talents we share. 

Tomorrow:  Spring Bonnet

Popular Posts